Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Old News

I haven't said anything about the 5K in April. I'm sorry if it's boring because it is old news but it is something I'm proud of and enjoy remembering.

April 19th I participated in my very first 5K. One of my co-workers found the event and I knew that if I was going to be serious about it I needed a training partner. I invited my brother Andrew to train with me and convinced Aaron it would be a fun birthday celebration.
I really enjoyed training with Andrew. Sometimes I forget how funny he is and how much he gets my humor. One night at the track we decided that the right side of my face is more attractive than the left. Hear me out. This particular evening when we went to jog the direction had changed from the other days. (Clockwise vs. counter-clockwise) This particular night the boys playing basketball and tennis on the inside of the track intentionally threw balls in my path. One nearly hit me in the head. I knew those boys were just making an excuse to say hello and be noticed. We decided that the only thing that had changed was the view of my profile and thus we concluded that the left side is much more appealing to the young men. ;)

The week of I was really bummed to find out Drew had to work that morning and that he would miss the main event but I knew he was proud of me too. It was a great surprise when I reached the finish line and my co-worker told me my phone rang and that she had answered it. She said Drew called, was going to ride my bike, and should be here really soon. I had a sip of water, rested my legs for about 60 seconds and as soon as he was within an eyes view I headed back down the street turned into the parking lot and back through the finish line. I saw him and he saw me and I told him how excited I was that he could be there to see me finish. Too bad I told him the truth. All the same it was super sweet of him to do all he could to be there for me. Thanks Drew.

6 comments:

amber said...

Way to go! College volleyball days ruined running and exercising in general. You and Drew are so cute and funny. Joe and I are still waiting for Drew to do a cartwheel.

Greatest American Fisherman ever said...

Great job Em bug! I knew you could do it.

Tahnie said...

I wish we could have come up and done it with you. I love doing 5K's. But you forgot to mention what the 5K was sponsoring. Wasn't it something kind of funny?

jon and whit said...

WAY TO GO!! i remember Drew telling that story in Sunday School & I was laughing so hard! that's so funny that you pretended to finish to he could see you!!

Kristi said...

Your Blog is so funny. I enjoy reading it!!! Your funny stories about the 5k had me laughing. You are so right about Andrew's sense of humor. I appreciate it as well!

Clayton and Heidi said...

for the record I think that both sides of your face are B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L. Awesome job on the 5K. Next time call up the McMurdies...we will run it too.