Thursday, July 10, 2008

Old but not forgotten....

The news is old but not forgotten, my car was old but not forgotten, and I am getting old and I'm reminded by my mom that my age is not forgotten. Thanks mom! ;)

This happened nearly one month ago but I need to share. Pictures will follow.
The funniest thing happened on my lunch hour...

Drew picked me up and we decided to go to the Old Grist Mill for lunch. Mmmm. As we entered the store our upstairs neighbor call Drew on his cell phone and stated "There are a couple of guys from a scrapyard checking out your red car in the driveway. Can I give them your phone number?" So when he hung up Drew relayed the message and said "500 no less?" Well yeah I'd love to have $500 but it doesn't run and I know it's not worth that much. The guy called and offered $100 and Drew used his negotiating skills to get more but in the end the guy had $200 cash and that's what he could give us for it.

There was talk of is that a good deal? will I be able to give up my TercelEZ after all this time?could we fix it and sell it for more? In the end we decided it wouldn't be realistic to keep it. We won't be able to fix it. Donating it would give us $0 cash. We called him back after about 10 minutes debate and told him he had a deal. We forgot about lunch, went home, cleaned out the car, took a few pictures, and said goodbye.

Drew and our friend, Dave, let me get in the driver's seat and drive the length of the house and grass while they pushed behind. The guys came, hooked her up, paid us the cash and took her away. I like to think they don't mind giving us 200 because they are going to fix it and sell it for more. That way she'll remain on the streets, with the wind whipping her hood, where she belongs. Car heaven.

It wasn't easy and I cried. I'm sorry that all of you couldn't take a moment to feel the steering wheel or the gear shift between your fingers. Or that we couldn't go to the Sev and get Super Big Gulps and pile in like we were taking an adventure. That would have been the proper goodbye. It was a great car and it took us a lot of places. (Mostly the Sev. cause she could take us there herself, no steering needed.)

PS Tomorrow is 7-11 and there should be free slurpees at your local Sev. :D

5 comments:

Andrew said...

i am getting a free slurpee!!!!

Tahnie said...

Ahhh Slurpee runs. We had to go to Park City because up in the hills we didn't have a Sev close by. Driving an hour round trip was worth it though. Of course gas was like, what-$.25 a gallon back then? Now spending $10 in gas for a $2 Slurpee wouldn't make the most sense, but I'd probably still do it.

amber said...

That is a sad story. You'll have to get a slurpee and toast to your car.

Greatest American Fisherman ever said...

My most favorite moment is when i was trying to fix it and I told emily to wait one minute but she thought I said to give it a try and she shocked me while I was holding a wire. It did get the car started!

Ash said...

That's a funny story. Sorry we didn't get to see you in Utah. I hope you guys can make it out to Houston some time!