Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Daily Thoughts: Tar

Jan 13 EDIT: I am experiencing this with some co-workers that are not in my department or have ever been friends with but they are within earshot. I hear their conversations and they create a negative environment and I don't feel like I am standing for something if I am sitting and doing nothing. Any help you can offer would be welcome.

Back in the day of photography and not digital creations there was a Mormon Ad that had approximately 3 sets of hands and tar flowing as the gossip is passed from one person to another. Why is this a popular practice? Why is it popular to speak unkind words of someone you may or may not know?

I know at times in my life I have been guilty of this practice and I will not deny that but it really bothers me. How can I remove myself from the situation if I can not physically move away from it? If it bothers me to hear acquaintances talk poorly about others I don’t know, what does this derogatory talk do to those who do know and love us?

Are others’ faults an easier topic of conversation than speaking highly of others? If we were to contemplate the positives about others would it be easier for us to think and speak kindly about ourselves?

These are today's random thoughts. I don't intend to be preachy and I do welcome any suggestions on how to remove myself from gossip.

2 comments:

JED MAIL said...

Don't say anything bad about someone who isn't there to defend themselves. I keep learning this lesson myself. If you speak ill of others when they're not there, your listener will certainly know that when they're not around you may speak poorly of them, too. Bad gossip just shoots you in the foot!

Kristi said...

Those kind of friendships and environments are toxic. It really does start to affect you negatively. I am sorry. No offense to the above comment but I don't think you should say bad things about people even when they are there. Changing the subject or walking away in the middle of the conversation has worked for me. They eventually get the hint. Or you can use your hama roska charm and be bold--just tell them it makes you uncomfortable to hear things like that and ask that we all contribute to a more positive environment. maybe it is such a habit that they don't realize they are doing it.