Thursday, January 28, 2010

surrounded by great parents

So I must premise this with I know I am far from being an expert and with that said here we go.

After being in the schools for two weeks and really getting to be with the kindergartners I have really been able to see what a great job all of you are doing with your children. I always knew my nieces and nephews were smart (and this includes the Madsen kids) but I never understood just how smart. I have always been around kids that are able to sound out words written on a piece of paper OR work on a puzzle I would have thought too hard for them to understand. But after getting into the school and seeing them at the half way point of kindergarten I am truly amazed at what you have accomplished.

We were working on simple sentences last week and we were trying to get the children to tell us if they were complete sentences. We have one kid in my class who can read and the rest either ask him or one of us for help and that's OK, in fact they all, for the most part, are where they need to be. But with that said you all have managed to accomplish this before they ever started school. For me it has really been a testimony of the importance of a stay at home mom. I know that it's not possible in all situations but it really does make a difference for the children.


One thing that I learned this week was the power of silence. We talked in my psychology class about how teachers are quick to bail out the students. What I mean is when a child is asked a question and they look at us and shrug their shoulders hoping that we will bypass them or if they say "I don't know" totally anticipating us to move on. We talked about how if a teacher will sit in silence and not accept the "I don't know" response the students will answer. I was testing the students the next day on their math and would ask them to write a number. I found that even in kindergarten they have picked up on the shoulder shrug and they know it works. I stood my ground and sat there waiting for a response...sometimes waiting for several minutes until I got one, and I was really surprised at how often after waiting for a real answer the students would get it right. I am sure this is common knowledge to parents but it was an eye opening moment for me.



This is for those who are not on facebook. Last week I had one of the children come back and work on his alphabet with me and as he sat down he said, "I know who you are." I was a little taken back by this, so I said, "Oh yea, who am I?" He then said, "You are an actor." I was taken back a little further, I replied, "Really! What have I acted in?" he then said, "You are the guy in Toy Story Two who takes Woody away." For those of you who haven't watched Toy Story 2 in a long time, here it is I hope you get as big of a kick out of it as I did! I am Al from Al's toy barn!

8 comments:

Kristi said...

AL!!!! That is so funny--I laughed so hard! And thanks for the tip on silence. I am going to pay attention to that one. Maybe Ethan gives me shoulder shrugs and I don't even realize it!!

Melanie said...

Drew, that's hilarious. It's even more funny considering Toy Story 2 is a computer animated movie. Haha. PS hi to Emily for me!

amber said...

That is pretty funny! Who knew I know someone famous.

Tahnie said...

Good point about expecting an answer, correct or wrong. I think I'll try that with my Primary kids!

The Wilcox Family said...

Thanks for the tip on waiting for an answer I will have to try that on our 2 year old who says I don't know to alot of things(and of coarse she really knows them.)Hey what is suppose to happen if you say to them "Yes you do know it?"

Greatest American Fisherman ever said...

In answer to your question I think as teachers we try to avoid conflict and by saying that we are allowing the student to put up a wall, I would probably tell the student (or child) I think you might know the answer why dont you give it a shot and we will see.

Donna Madsen said...

Awesome! I love the Al from Al's Toy Barn. I am just wondering if you have to "Drive all the way to work, all the way to work, on a Saturday"? I can't even tell you how many times I have watched that movie! Braden and Tyler used to be very into Toy Story!

Clayton and Heidi said...

1. the power of silence. Interesting. Wondering if it works on husbands who can't make decisions. hmmmm...

2. Toy Story 2 comment HILARIOUS!