Tuesday, November 27, 2007

New game for everyone including Aaron

I have always loved Christmas because it brings out the good in everyone and I am sure we all have fond memories of years that have past so here is the new game. Everyone needs to post about a Christmas that has special meaning to that person and if you share a blog each of you have to post something.

My most memorable Christmas came when I was on my mission. It was my last Christmas in the mission and instead of buying gifts and mailing them to us my family would just send cash so we could get something from our mission that would be something we could have for a long time, I really wanted a leather coat. So everybody sent me cash and I had just barley enough to buy the leather coat I wanted. It was the day before Christmas and we had just received a media referral, somebody had ordered the Lamb of God and it was a Spanish order, we never got those because the Hispanic people thought we were the government and we were going to arrest them when they called and ordered the movie. We went over to this woman's house and showed her the movie she was really touched by it and asked if we could come back when her husband was there. She had 5 or 6 kids and she couldn't have been older than 30. We asked her what her husband did for work and she explained that he was one of the guys who would stand out on the corner and wait for someone to pick them up to go work construction for the day but they hadn't had much luck in the last couple of weeks. She then asked if we knew of anyone who would be able to help her with Christmas because she couldn't afford it that year. I told her being the day before Christmas I was sure that no one had any presents left but we would check. We left and I had the biggest pit in my stomach and I felt like I needed to spend the money I got from my parents to get them stuff, so my companion and I went to the store and he went crazy we started grabbing stuff and throwing them in the basket, I watched as my coat fund slowly dwindled away. We split the cost and I spent 40 dollars, no leather coat for me. We took the presents over and a member of the ward provided a whole turkey dinner with all the trimmings for the family so we took them to this woman's house. Her eyes got really big and she started trying to get her children in the only bedroom so she could get the presents in without them seeing. The oldest boy realized what was going on and he was dragging his younger brothers in the room by any means necessary. We gave her all of the stuff and wished her a Merry Christmas and we left. Because we had spent all of our money the member took us out for dinner and he made sure we knew we would be blessed for our service but I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed I wouldn't be getting my jacket. He took us home and dropped us off and I walked up to the mail box and there was a Christmas card from my Stake President I opened it up and a check fell out, the check was more than double what I had spent, some of the Stake members had donated money to the missionary fund and they had a surplus so they sent a check to every missionary currently serving. I still have that leather coat to this day and it serves as a reminder that if I put others first I will always be taken care of. We went back a week after Christmas and found out her husband found a job in another state and they moved. I'm not sure what ever came of it, if anything, but I am sure grateful that I took the time to put somebodies needs before mine.

4 comments:

Aaron said...

That's an awesome story, Drew. Nicely done.

Aaron said...

Oh, yeah. And I'll work on a Christmas story for my blog.

The Shark said...

You mean your Christmas in Lakewood wasn't your favorite time ever? With PAGET? Come on!!!

I remember you telling me that story on the mission, it's a good one. I was actually thinking about that leather jacket earlier today as I saw a commercial on TV for K&G (I can't remember if that's where you got your jacket from, but once upon a time on the mission I was considering getting one from that place). Funny that I happen to come across this post after I'd thought about such a random thing.

GILLINS FEARS NOTHING!

Tahnie said...

ohhhhh what a thoughtful brother-in-law I have.