Tuesday, September 11, 2007

school isn't half bad...but I am not saying it's good.

This year I am taking a couple of the core classes. I have always looked at them as being dumb and really haven't liked many of them. I am trying to change my attitude this year and have a brighter outlook on those classes. I have taken Chemistry in the past with the same professor, last time I took it I had a hard time staying awake. I have never seen someone so excited about chemistry and I probably spent more time asleep in his class then I should have. I'm taking the class with Josh Huff and that seems to be helping out a lot. I still am a little nervous about the screwballs he'll throw in the exams.
I am also taking Geology 1010 and now I wish I would have paid more attention when pops was going off about rocks and how they form. We had a lab today and I was able to spit out most of the names for the rocks that were shown. I don't know how many countless hours I listened to my dad spout off about rocks and "how cool" they are. I think that some of it did sink in.
I am also taking intermediate hand-building and I have the chance to make some pretty cool stuff. This is the first time I will have a different professor teaching my class. He gives great insight and a very different view of the world of ceramics. So everybody needs to expect some very different pottery from me this year more organic and rigid and less exact and uniform.
I am also taking an institute class this year first time ever on my own. I went for the first time this week and I loved it. I'm taking the Acts-Revelations so as you can imagine the class is packed all ten of us cramped into a fifty seat classroom.
And for the grand finale the class I like the most but counts for the least is my weight lifting class. Finally a class I feel comfortable in! It's like I am in high school again...minus the Tighty Whites short shorts and awkward grunting it's like I am lifting after football practice. I missed the atmosphere, the smells and the feeling of being the "big man" in the weight room.
If our football team can look half decent out there on the football field maybe even win a game or heaven forbid two. I think this aspiring student can get excited for chemistry, heck maybe he can even study two days before a test and attend class on a regular basis and yes folks even pass stats. In the words of a very intelligent almost three year old, "GO AGGIES!" -Ethan Clark

4 comments:

Hama Roska said...

Let's go Aggies! I'm excited for all that's new this year. Thanks for sharing with us Drew!

It's funny that each of us had the same experience with our fathers and then our college courses. I remember a lot of times I'd be sitting in class and I would think of one of the many items my dad had once rambled off but I didn't understand at the time.

Aaron said...

I didn't have that experience in too many of my college courses. Dad didn't wax eloquent too often about accounting and finance. Can you imagine Dad talking about FIN 46R and Variable Interest Entities and Consolidations? It makes me excited just thinking about it.

Andrew said...

Ethan told me that he can't wait to see Big Blue next week during our homecoming game. Go Aggies!!! I hope this semester is a great one.

Julie said...

Hey Roskas,

What is your e-mail address? Mine is theclarkfam@gmail.com.