Saturday, September 1, 2007

A whole new world

Growing up I thought my life was much like the Truman show. I was always being told I would go on vacation here or we would see this but it never happened. I thought I lived in a bubble the size of Utah and would never get to see the "outside world." Minus the mountains and the temperature differences Texas is a lot like Utah so even then I really didn't feel like I got to experience much. That is until my wife took me to California. Our first stop in California was the Wild Animal park in San Diego.
After taking this picture we went to the petting zoo and we got to pet deer! They were a little timid, but after a few scratches on the back they warmed right up. We then headed down to the bus tour where we sat and listened to a narrated tour by the driver. He told us about the several different programs they have had for reproduction in their facilities. The one that stuck out to me was of the rhinos. they had brought in several male and females into the park and let them out in the open land to reproduce. The males were unable to reproduce because they were too young so they borrowed a male from the San Diego Zoo and he went to town fathering 59 rhinos in a short time! Below are two pictures to show how big the park is where they let the non- aggressive animals live.



Next it was off to the lions and I really liked their home. They had a 4runner that they had "lion proofed", they even filled the tires with cement so they couldn't push it around. As you can see they really liked it.
Next we went to the elephants. Just in the one enclosure they had over 12 elephants. They had 2 really small ones that ran around and played a lot, they were a lot of fun. The giraffes we a lot of fun as well. The big tall one had eaten all the leafs off of the trees to a certain height so the smaller ones couldn't eat them!

I sure hope we get a chance to go back one day it was a lot of fun.



1 comment:

Hama Roska said...

It was a lot of fun. It's definately a new take on the "zoo" experience. I'd go again knowing how big it is and how much water to take. You cover a lot of land.

It may be the closest we come to an African Safari. Which right now is fine by me. Lots of shots and too many animals that can run faster than I can.