Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Great Friend

Ag week at USU will has had a bitter-sweet feel to it and this year is no different. I love the time of the year and the sites and smells but a part of me will always look at it as a time where I lost one of my best friends. Curt or as most of you knew him as "mad dog" died 2 years ago yesterday in the tragic USU van roller over accident. It's the only time of year that I associate my thoughts for him and this school. The Ag department always parks tractors around the campus and all of the pictures I can remember of Curt on his mission were of him next to a tractor. I first met Curt in Garland Texas. He was companions with a very high strung elder and so was I. We both felt if had the other not been there, either one of us would have gone crazy. Curt and I stayed friends throughout the mission. I bought a lot of phone cards to keep in touch with him when he was sent out East. I returned home and and met Emily who was returning to Logan to go to school. I knew that Curt had ventured up here and I knew he would open up his room for the occasional visit. He lived in a room by himself not much bigger than a walk in closet and when I would visit I slept on the couch. Soon after Em and I started dating I decided to move up to Logan where Curt with open arms opened up his room for me to stay in until Em and I got married. To say the least that room wasn't big enough for one full-grown person let alone two. Curt would joke around about it and I am sure we bugged him a lot but he was always grateful to have us around. After we got married Curt hung out at our place a lot and he always managed to show up around dinner. I always had someone to hang out with and talk to when Em was working late. I knew I could call Curt for anything and I know he felt the same. I tried to talk curt into going fishing with me the night of the accident but he felt like he couldn't miss class. There's not a week that goes by that I don't think about him and the profound impact he had on our marriage. We miss him and we want his family to know our thoughts and prayers are with them this week.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Those are some great thoughts and memories. Thanks for sharing, Drew.

Hama Roska said...

You said it better than I could. I miss him too and am so grateful for him and his family. Thanks for posting.