Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I want a whopper and a small drink

For those of you who don't know this I was a T.A. at school in SLC that was a school for people with disabilities. I spent 2 years there and loved every minute of it. I have been a little nervous about my degree for a while and I have always wondered if I will be able to find work. I am taking a Special Education class this semester, it's a requirement for all teachers and I fell in love with it the first day. It brought back so many memories of my time spent at the School in SLC. After which I went to my ceramics class and listened to all the foul mouth people I associate with on a daily basis. And I thought to myself that this will be what I deal with for the rest of my life if I stick with ceramics. So unofficially I am changing my major to special education but I will still get a minor in art. I think they will go hand in hand. I figure this will help me interact with my younger brothers a lot more:) It doesn't mean that I will be up here for any longer than I planned I just might have to take a few summer classes. As it sits now I have almost enough for an art minor. Now I just have to do the Special Ed classes. I will always do ceramics and maybe later in life go back and get a BFA in ceramics but for now I think this is the best course for me and my family. The title is from my days at this school, we had to teach the students how to purchase food from a restaurant. We spents weeks teaching these kids a song that would help them order. And that is the first line in the song. I was so impressed when they all got up to the cashier and sun the song and paid on their own. I will never forget that day and how it helped me shape my life.

3 comments:

Four Huffs said...

I'm so proud of you Drew! You're going to be great!

Aaron said...

Drew: That is absolutely awesome. When Julie and I read that post, we both got really, really excited for you. That sounds like it will be a great fit for you.

And don't worry at all about changing majors even though you've got a lot of credits. I probably could have minored in physics with all the math and science credits I had before I decided that I wanted to be in business. I was sitting in an advanced physics lab one day, and realized that I really didn't like what I was doing. So, two majors later, I finally decided that I was going get into business, and I've had a great time ever since.

Hama Roska said...

I'm proud of you.